Misc information about GPS tracking devices and solutions.
What I'm looking for is a solution to track ultra runners during races lasting up to 30 hours or more.
Requirements on tracking device (the thing the runner will carry along, this could as well be a smartphone app):
- Very Long Battery Life >30h (while almost continuously send GPS data)
- Optional: replaceable batteries or at least ability to charge device while on the run. Or external battery connector ...
- Send position data via GPRS connection to any computer on the internet
- Configurable time interval for sending data (continuously vs. 10-20min. intervals)
- Sleep mode (power-off GPS/GSM while not sending data)
- Optional: Multiple Geo-fences (e.g. Alert when running through aid station)
Currently I think only two types of hardware tracker would make sense:
- GPS (or in the future other satellite system) / GSM tracker:
- gets location via satellite and transmit position data via mobile phone network (GPRS)
- advantage is relative low cost for data transmission
- disadvantage are roaming costs if used across different countries, mobile network coverage sometimes not available.
- GPS / Satellite communication tracker"
- this is what e.g. SPOT tracker do. You receive GPS position and transmit via satellite communication network
- disadvantage relative high cost almost always you need to subscribe for monthly or yearly provider plan and pay in advance.
- advantage is depending on area and satellite communication provider usually good coverage.
This page is work in progress!!
List of Tracking Devices: